TNW is a leading international tech media company founded in 2006. We write technology news (10 millions visitors monthly to thenextweb.com), host events (such as TNW conference with 12.5k visitors), collect and analyze tech startup data (over 200k startups tracked via Index.co) and operate tech spaces in Amsterdam together with Google.
We are looking foremost for a technical leader of the Index platform. Index is our startup database that tracks the movements of over 200.000 tech companies. Our work includes
- building out our web offering at index.co, such as matchmaking and data products
- indexing every tech news item on the web we can get our hands on
- writing algorithms for startup discovery and classification
- building activity monitors (investments, acquisitions, coverage, team)
- train text classification of news items
- operating web crawlers
This means we are looking for someone that
- is fluent in web development and can write clean, readable, reusable and scalable PHP (experience with Laravel is a plus).
- Can oversee the whole tech stack. Plan ahead with our infrastructure expert while keeping an eye on our maniacal React developer.
- knows their way around databases (we use mysql, neo4j and elastic) and knows how to set up an application that handles a constant influx of data. You eat indices and denormalization for lunch.
- can come up with creative system to discover startup data points from public sources. Experience with python scripting, web crawling and text analysis is a nice plus.
Besides working on Index, you will have the opportunity to help out with other TNW projects. If you are into devops you can help us with our migration to GCP and set up those sweet deployment pipelines. If you like backend development better you can help us with our conference backbone. There is plenty of opportunities on all projects across TNW!
The TNW team
You will join a team of about 15 developers and designers working on a wide variety of products. We move quickly and push code to production many times a day. If you want to have a great opportunity to advance your career by developing products used by millions of people, then this position is for you.
Our Amsterdam office hosts about 80 people from all over the world. The office is tightly managed by 2 goldfish with a Slack account.